Nellie"s Needles

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Sunny Day on the Lake Quilts

Mmmmmm....I'm finding that the sunny warm days we're experiencing are influencing the mood of these Lake pieces.

Lake #11
Lake #12
As I stated previously, it's the first fabrics that get laid down that determines the feeling or tone for the whole piece. I'm at the point of picking up scraps that previously I wouldn't even have considered (I was wondering when that point would be reached). Most particularly for the beach. Often it's the other side of the fabric that works. I've never called the back of the fabric the "wrong side".

The stack of twelve finished pieces measures two inches high. Mmmm ... guess I'm aiming for at least a foot high if not 16 1/2 inches.
The comments are very much appreciated. Thank you. It's nice to know that other people besides my husband, Lee, are liking what they see. It amuses me when he walks in my studio and declares the one I've just completed or the one on the work table is his favorite.

17 comments:

Joyce said...

I totally love #12. They just keep getting better and better.

Anonymous said...

You are on a roll! The sunny lakes are beautiful.

Simonetta said...

Thanks Nellie for the good explanation! The sunny lakes it is really beautifully :))))

marisa said...

I like yours lakes.

Anonymous said...

Your lake pieces are gorgeous. I adore the colors.

Anne Heidi said...

Beautiful pictures!

Crystal said...

Wow! I am not a quilter, but I ran across your blog, and these are amazing! You are a true artist, thanks for sharing!

meggie said...

Those lakes are so 'real'..!
You can almost smell the water & feel the breeze off them.
A magical talent.

Judy said...

Nellie,
Your series reminds me of summer days on Lake Erie....not too far off, am I? LOL I love them and I really enjoy reading your explanations of your work. You share a LOT!! The sunny ones are a nice change, as I was feeling a bit of a cool wind in the air in the first few!

Anonymous said...

Nellie ... so glad we have 'met'. Site is great now ... and I really love your work. You are a very talented lady indeed. All the best to you.

Anne Wigfull said...

In this case,last is definitely best, Nellie, I could be there on the shore in Lake 12. Will you get to 100 before you run out of orts? Great stuff.

Teodo said...

Nellie this Lake series is very beautiful.
I try to immagine you while working: very busy but very calm looking fot the fabics you want. Thanks. ciao ciao.

Nadia said...

Nellie usi dei colori stupendi! (wonderful colours)
peccato che non capisco del tutto le spiegazioni!

nadia

Unknown said...

This series is working so well! The lake is so beautiful and it changes with each day. A perfect subject for such a series. I like the small size as well. the impact of hanging them together must be fantastic!

FARBTUPFER said...

A wonderful work!
Greetings
W.

arlee said...

I LOVE number 11--reminds me of summer days in my youth on Lake Huron!

Nellie's Needles said...

Thank all of you for your comments.

Anne, there's no way I'll even make a dent in the scraps even if I make it to the 100 limit ... and beyond.

Arlee and Judy since you've experienced the great lakes, I'm pleased that you feel them in these small quilts.

Karen, you'll get a nice gallery view of all them together at the Picasa album site. Just click on the picture in the sidebar.

Linda Teodo, you're correct in that I very calmly select the pieces. I'm almost in a trance. Very rarely do I have to take any away once it's in place. It's all part of the serendipity (happy accidents) that I appreciate happening in my work.