Nellie"s Needles

Thursday, April 03, 2008

To the Mountains

Most of you know of my love for Lake Michigan, but the Rocky mountains are also dear to my heart.

44"x 35"
This is the photo from which I was working:
One of my favorite spots is on the shoreline of Bear Lake in the Rocky Mountain National Park. My quilt will not be exactly like any of the photos that are posted, but will incorporate what I remember and feel when sitting quietly and looking across a high mountain lake. For those of you familiar with the Rockies, the snow covered mountain on the far right is Longs Peak in the above picture and my quilt.

I like sitting on big flat rocks that jut out into most of the lakes up in the mountains. However, I'm not sitting in this pic. My husband likes a pose :-)
My next step is to machine quilt what is in the background. Then I will compose the shoreline in the foreground based on these photos.

This picture was taken along the Big Thompson River that runs past our cabin. I will be including some of these flowers on the shoreline of my lake piece.
Now that I've caught your interest for this piece I'm sorry to say that you won't be seeing it finished for a while. I had rushed to get it started to see if it could be finished in time for the Smoky Mountain Quilts Guild Show. Well, I determined that I could, but it's too late. The limit for the number of quilts that can be displayed in our show place has been met ... in fact we have to turn away quite a few submissions :-(

Watch for it to reappear late May or June. Now, I can get back to the lake series.

8 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I have yet to muster the courage to do a landscape piece, but would like to. This piece is going to be beautiful I know.

Teodo said...

It's fantastic!
Great Nellie.
ciao ciao

p said...

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
wonderfully relaxing

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

I'm loving your landscape piece. I also love that photo of you.

Paula, the quilter said...

I can't wait to see it finished! RMNP is right in my backyard. Well kinda! Have to drive up the canyon, but still...

jenclair said...

How beautiful! We lived in Wyoming when I was small, and I still have dreams about being in the mountains.

Rick Rockhill said...

Hi Nellie, I just found your blog today while searching for "montains" on google. Such beautiful photos you have posted! I really am enjoying your blog.

stop by and say hi sometime.
-rick

Michele Bilyeu said...

That is a 'ta da' pose if I ever saw one! You are too cute, Nellie :)