Nellie"s Needles

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Red Horizon

This lake piece was begun right after I clicked the "publish button" late yesterday afternoon. I couldn't wait any longer to try the printed side of that overdyed and discharged upholstery fabric for a sky.

Lake #56 (2008)
It's cut into a number of pieces that are placed on the diagonal in order to get horizontal cloud patterns. Wisps of roving disquise the joins.
This piece ended up with a lot of oil stick pastel work. I have no idea what prompted me to give it the red horizon ... other than a "whisper" from the lake itself. I don't know what I was thinking when those beach fabrics were selected. A whole lot of blending was needed there. However, without those strong contrasts it would not have ended up with the dramatic lighting that realistically would be the result of that kind of sky.

This particular lake spoke to a friend that came to lunch today. It's now in her house. She, too, was a friend of Gayles. Having this piece with the sky fabric altered by Gayle's hand is meaningful to her.

4 comments:

Karoda said...

those "whispers" led you to a fabulous piece...i love the contrast going on in the beach and the red horizon is working!

Bunny said...

Fabulous! You have such a mastery of technique it awes me.

Kim Hambric said...

I love the depth and texture in this piece. I would never have thought a red horizon would work. I never would have thought of it at all. Glad you had the courage to do that.

Nellie's Needles said...

Kim, there are atmospheric conditions that create a red line along the horizon. Often that red line is still there long after sunset.