Nellie"s Needles

Monday, April 22, 2013

A Bit of Earth

I've had in mind for sometime to create small art quilts featuring spring flowers. A week ago after a picnic I took photos on a trail walk along the Clinch River ...


The coming of spring here in east Tennessee has been late. There were no new leaves on the trees and just a few sprouts of early wild plants.

Yesterday afternoon I got a start on creating the foundation for the first quilt. On the left is the first step of covering the batting with pieces from my scrap bag ... I think of it as "under painting"...








A second layer of thread and yarn scraps, plus scraps of tulle netting have been added. Now to do just enough quilting to hold it together, then I'll continue to build the picture. I still haven't decided which flowers will be growing through my woodland bed.

Just a reminder about the contest at the Quilting Gallery. Go here if you haven't yet checked it out.  Voting for 4 favorite quilts from the 37 entries and entering the fat quarter give-away deadline is 6:00 p.m. (EDT). Have fun and good luck!

6 comments:

Heather said...

You have an artist's eye Nellie - the second picture here is already showing how true you are with fabric to the image in your photograph. I can't wait to see the finished piece.

Teodo said...

This quilt will be amazing.
Nellie congrats for your 3rd place with "Smoky Mountain Sunrise"
ciao linda

Unknown said...

Lovely to see you starting a piece! XOX

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

Oh I was just outside looking at the daffodils coming up in the leaves and winter debri and then I see this! How perfect. Look forward to what flower will be added.

Kay said...

Oh, great! This will be fun to see. Maybe daffodils, as Barbara said

Unknown said...

LOL!! had just commented to my husband that I would love to find the time to do small works of wildflowers that SHOULD be showing up about now! I look forward to seeing your beauties!!