Nellie"s Needles

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Bear Lake Revisited

Bear Lake up in the Rocky Mountain National Park outside of Estes Park is one of our favorites.  This photo was taken in 2006.

In 2008 I made this quilt, "Bear Lake" from that photo.  Click here to see the posts about its creation.


Bear Lake - 45"x 34" (2008)
 
In the photo taken from the other side of the lake on this trip, you can see the big rock from which the previous photos were taken.
The brown trees are the result of Pine Needle Beetle damage.  Each year we see more brown trees on the east side of the park.  The damage is much greater over the Divide on the west side.

Enjoy these photos of the trail around the lake.







 There's been quite a bit of rain leaving big puddles on the trail.  This is a captured reflection in one of them.

... and another photo taken this year of the scene featured in the quilt.

11 comments:

Kay said...

Beautiful photos, Nellie! I love the one of the quilt in the actual place.

Heather said...

Amazing photos Nellie and great to see your wonderful quilt against it's inspirational backdrop. I love the photo of the reflections and all the others brought back so many memories of the holiday of a lifetime.

Julie said...

Wow! What a landscape! It takes your breath away. You are so generous with your process Nellie. Thank you so much for linking to your previous posts. I was wondering how to make some trees on a quilt I have in mind based on a painting I did of childhood memories and you have solved it for me. :)

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

I love the quilt and landscape one too! Just perfect. So much inspiration! Looks like you are having a grand time.

Unknown said...

Lovely, lovely, lovely photos! thanks for sharing them.

Beverly said...

Beautiful photos of a spectacular place. The pine beetles are ravaging lots of places, parts of northern Utah have extensive damage from them.

Joyce said...

Love the quilt in the landscape that inspired it! Wonderful scene and wonderful quilt.

Diane said...

Your photography is exquisite and the quilt is breathtaking! I just got back from CO (taping of The Quilt Show in Boulder) and wish I could have spent more time there.

Gilli said...

God I miss Colorado & Estes Park! We moved back here to WI a couple of years ago to be closer to the grandchildren. But I do miss those mountains. sigh
Your quilt is perfection.

Judy Hartman said...

Beautiful photos, and I especially love the one of you holding your interpretation of the landscape behind you! What an inspirational place!

Graciela said...

Hola Neelly felicitaciones por tu trabajo es maravilloso!!!!!!!
me hice tu seguidora para ver tus próximos proyectos
besos desde Argentina