Nellie"s Needles

Monday, October 15, 2012

Breast Pockets

These are my contributions to Melanie Testa's "Breast Pocket Project"


Melanie's goal is to collect 1000 pockets for this project to raise awareness for those of us who decide against reconstructing our bodies. This all began with a challenge from a reporter, "If you can get 1000 pockets, contact me, we will try to do a story."

My pockets are made from fabric that was trimmed from a garment I reconstructed to wear for my debut "as just me" when I was a featured artist for Gallery Stroll weekend at Good Good's Gallery in Saugatuck, Michigan recently. There were several compliments about what I was wearing. I doubt my lack of breasts was noticed ... even my husband didn't take, nor make note, of it.

Standing next to two of the Orange/Gray series pieces
"After the Storm"
"At the Break of Day"

The patchwork of that fabric which I cut off-grain represents the skewed journey through the experience of having and being treated for cancer. I made this one fastened with an old brass button with "1" imprinted on it especially for Melanie ...


Each of these has the name of my friends as well as my mother, sister, and myself written on the back. I've also slipped a note inside the pocket ... a message of hope and well being sent out into the universe for each of us.

Melanie wrote an interesting article about "living as a flat chested woman after breast cancer." The link is here.

My cyber friend, Gail, has honored me by making 2 pockets with my name on them. Go to her blog, Expression Studio, to see them and read her wonderful post. The pocket I made for her is the one in the lower left corner of the photo above of all the pockets.

19 comments:

Radka said...

Beautiful post, Nellie, thank you. x

Melly Testa said...

I am very touched. Thank you. Tears, good tears. I love your outfit, I love the sentiment. Congrats on going flat and remaining under the radar!

Lisa Chin said...

They are beautiful pockets but no where as beautiful as you are in your photo!

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

Wonderful Nellie. So touching and what a great cause.

YOu look marvelous with your two pieces. I love the dress too!

Unknown said...

I really like the idea of notes in the pockets!! So glad your doing so well. Mine are nearly finished.

Unknown said...

I wanted to say that the outfit is beautiful and looks grand!

Nellie's Needles said...

Thank all of you for your compliments and comments.

Each of the closures was chosen with a particular person in mind. They're all buttons from my collection except for the filigree brass piece from an old earring on my mother's pocket. When I came across that, it spoke her name ;-)

acasarella said...

Those are beautiful. What a great idea.

Beverly said...

Thanks for sharing not only your journey through all this, but the beautiful pockets. And I agree, you do look great, love the dress and both the lake pieces.

Heather said...

Beautiful photo Nellie, beautiful garment and beautiful pockets. My heart is full for all women coping with this problem - you have all had to dig deep for the strength to deal with your illness and I admire your courage.

Unknown said...

Thanks for including me! I'm beyond touched. The garment is sensational but it's you who looks radiant and healthy . . . I love the idea of notes in the pockets. Kudos!

June Calender said...

You look wonderful, your dress is lovely, and the orange and gray quilts are wonderful too. This was a very happy early morning read.

Cricket said...

Nellie, you are an inspiration in so many ways. The beauty and acceptance you create are true gifts in the world.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Thank you for sharing yourself with us . . .

Lynnda Tenpenny said...

You are good enough just like you are ! Yea for all of you and what a cool idea.

McIrish Annie said...

You look fabulous Nellie! Love the outfit and the pockets. This is a side of breast cancer that is not really discussed and should be brought to people's attention. Kudos to you and Melanie!

I read her article. It was really touching.

all the best to you!

deb said...

Love your pockets, and your outfit at the opening. What a great idea putting notes inside each pocket.

Unknown said...

That's very generous of you to join the cause. Helping with the project is really great because it'll gonna help a lot of people. Your breast pocket is lovely.
screen printing perth

Lorraine said...

love the pockets and those grey landscapes are superb