Nellie"s Needles

Saturday, August 22, 2009

I've Figured IT Out!

Finally, I figured out how to transition from the foreground realistic flowers to the abstract ones on the horizon of this field of flowers.
I've been fretting for some time about this ... studying what visually happens while looking at many patches of wild flowers on our recent trip to Colorado as well as surfing the net for photos to analyze. Last night furniture was moved to lay the vertical row for the center of the piece out on the floor.
Woo Hoo! It works. Now I feel on a roll to get on with this project.

This panel, the one second from the top, gave me the most concern in achieving a seamless transition into the horizon that was already finished.
That first layer of fabrics was softened and blended with wool and silk roving arranged over the hard lines.
Then I pulled threads and yarn as well as fabric ravelings from this supply ...
to create abstract flowers in that far off field.
Silk flower petals were snipped into gradated pieces and sprinkled into place.
Now, to get on with the other rows to create a whole field of prairie flowers.

14 comments:

MyCretanlife said...

What a labour of love this is going to be. It looks just great

Merry said...

You are truly amazing creating these works or art.

Cathie said...

Dang it Nellie! This is spectacular. You are amazing!

Kim Hambric said...

This entire piece is AMAZING. I can't wait to see it completed. Thanks for sharing the process.

Helen said...

ohh it does work! more than works...it's stunning. thanks for sharing

Ali Honey said...

Yes, yes, that it. Overlay flowers and stems up through the layers. it's beautiful - clever you!

Unknown said...

It is working!! In the spirit of the velveteen rabbit..It is becomming REAL!

arlee said...

wordless.....

SewCalGal said...

Oh my, this is beautiful. This is museum quality! I love it. You are so very talented.

Thanks for sharing.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Heather said...

This quilt is stunning beyond words Nellie and only when I saw the one strip from top to bottom laid on your floor, could I really appreciate the size of it, and the enormous task you have set yourself. It is going to be absolutely wonderful - it is already absolutely wonderful. I am lost in admiration.

Joyce said...

Amazing. I loved the picture of your stash. I have a bad case of stash envy! Lol. I must start collecting that sort of stuff.

Beverly said...

What everyone else said! It will be amazing, stunning, you name it.

Deborah M. said...

So beautiful. I would give anything to have that kind of creative talent.

Karoda said...

glad i peeked over here this morning...its nice seeing the work in progress but really groovy to glimpse your thoughts behind the work itself...and the photo of elvis heads is very impressionable too :) have a great tuesday!