Nellie"s Needles

Tuesday, November 09, 2010

A Mended Quilt

You may recognize this silk quilt I had made as a Christmas present for my friend in 2007 ...

The original areas where it's green had been constructed with old silk that had "shattered".  Darn!  That had been the perfect color and foil to the bright pink and orange prints.  Also, I hate mending, but this is one  quilt that really needed my personal attention.

It's now been replaced by sewing a new and modern soft green "silk cotton" over the top of the old silk.  The seam allowances had been pressed under on all the newly cut border pieces. Those were then machine appliqued with clear mono filament thread on the quilt top just outside the seams into the edges of the pink silk prints and binding.

For the quilting I followed my original quilt lines by free-motion sewing with the back side face up ... which meant putting the fancy variegated silky thread in the bobbin while having the plain beige thread set up on the top of the machine.

I'm pleased with the results and the quilt in now on it's way back to my friend in Milwaukee.  To read the post written about the creation of this quilt go here.

5 comments:

Laurence said...

Gorgeous ! This quilt is very beautiful.

Unknown said...

A beautiful quilt! Isn't it wonderful that it was so very loved and now it can start anew.

Heather said...

That sounds like no easy task Nellie but the quilt is so beautiful it is well worth the work involved to repair it. I love those colours and the quilting design.

Joyce said...

That is an amazing mending job. You'd never know it wasn't that way from the start. Your friend must be very happy to be able to keep her lovely quilt.

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

I am with you about mending. Not my thing either unless it is worth it and this is. Huge job though no doubt!