Nellie"s Needles

Saturday, November 03, 2012

Red Violet Challenge

As a member of the Smoky Mountain Quilt Guild, I took on the challenge contest for 2013 ... blindly choosing a spool of thread, then using that thread color to create a monochromatic quilt. This is mine ...
I sorted through several huge bags of scraps for bits and pieces of fabric and thread and yarn that related to red-violet to create a lake scene ...

I suspect the intention is for us to use all the different values of one color ... the addition of black and white to make lighter and darker hues. I've also included the muted shades of red-violet ... those hues made by adding gray or the complementary color. It will be interesting to see if my piece qualifies.

The reveal is at the November guild meeting this next Tuesday evening. After that I'll post a photo of the finished quilt (the above picture is the first step of laying out a foundation layer in my collage process). Now I need to get back to finishing the construction of the back. Interestingly, the art part is all machine work while the backing and hanging parts are mostly handwork.

8 comments:

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

So far so good. You found just the right values. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Kathy said...

That's awesome, I love it! Can;t wait to see the finished product. Thanks for sharing.

acasarella said...

Gorgeous! I love it :)

Heather said...

Quite a challenge but you have risen to it Nellie - your quilt will be beautiful and I look forward to seeing it when finished.

Unknown said...

yummy. can't wait to see it finished!

Lynnda Tenpenny said...

Whoo - I like what you're doing with red-violet. That's a hard color to work with!

Browndirtcottage said...

Ohhhhhh yummy!!

I.LIKE.

Colleen Kole said...

Some of my favorite colors!