Nellie"s Needles

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Wonky Log Cabin Blocks

I've been busy digging through bags of scraps to make blocks for the "Sandy Quilt Block Drive"...

The pattern is most fitting since the resulting quilts will be going to those who have suffered the destruction left behind by the storm resulting from Hurricane Sandy.

I like the way this project is set up. There's an opportunity to just make blocks (as many as you like) OR to make quilts from already made blocks. Quilts from this block drive event will be donated to the Bumble Beans Basics group that Victoria Findlay Wolfe organizes. These folks are in New York and able to get the quilts delivered immediately.

Fourteen was as many as I could muster the strength to make. That's an odd number so I played with a couple of arrangements on my design wall. Here's the other ...
The intent is for the quilts to be bed-size, so whomever gets my set of blocks will be adding more to achieve that. I'll be mailing them tomorrow to the quilter in Wisconsin that I was matched to by Michelle at the Quilting Gallery. Click on the link in the first sentence of this post if you, too, would like to contribute either blocks or to construct quilts.

4 comments:

Heather said...

What a lovely way to bring comfort to someone in distress - these blocks are filled with uplifting colours and the recipient will surely love the completed quilt.

Beverly said...

Those blocks are so cheerful and full of color- I'm sure they will bring a smile to the lucky recipient of the quilt. I hope you are doing well and healing well from all you've been through, Nellie-

Unknown said...

Good to see you creating again! I'm impressed that you created so many blocks. and of course they're marvelous!

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

Excellent group of blocks. I am going to look into doing this too. Victoria does such great charity work.