Nellie"s Needles

Saturday, August 19, 2006

In the Garden

"In the Garden" - 14"x17" - 2005

This work began by "just playing" with Seta Color fabric paints. At some point I saw a tree developing and the hint of either flowers or fruit appearing. I began adding more dots of color and limbs to the tree. I stopped before developing a too complete picture. Because the quilting process changes and distorts, I knew I would have more control of the composition if I waited until that stitching was finished.

Before it's quilted, the wrinkled piece looks like a topographical map.

Here you can see the added spots of paint and oil stick pastels.

I also added warm colors with pastels to the painted green fabric background mat. This "matting" covers a foam core foundation. I sew a "pillow case", slip the foam core inside and blindstitch the open side shut. The crinkle quilt piece is secured to the matting fabric surface with stitches that look like my quilting stitches.

"In the Garden" is for sale at Good Goods gallery.

All photos are clickable for you to view a larger version in a separate window. Click the back arrow icon of your server to get back to this post. The highlighted text is also clickable to take you to the link or posting that is being referenced.

3 comments:

Shirley Goodwin said...

These are lovely, Nellie. How do you get the crinkles in?

arlee said...

A lovely antidote to a grey cold wintery blustery bone chilling Calgary night--thank you! (Feb 19/09)

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

I enjoyed seeing this piece a lot. Love the texture and the hint of the tree. The frame around it just sets it off.