Nellie"s Needles

Friday, April 04, 2008

Flowers On A Wrought Iron Fence

At the end of March the round robin blocks for Jane were due. Her theme was "fences". I made trellised flowers on a wrought iron fence for her.
Yarns, threads, and silk flowers are collaged over a background fabric with a wrought iron pattern. Black tulle topped it off. When I finished the quilting I saw that the leaves had gotten lost. So ... I got out my oil stick pastels and touched them up with bright yellow-greens. I also added shades of pink, green and gold to the flower petals and orange to their centers.

Pastels added

6 comments:

Maureen said...

Very effective Nellie!
Did you fabricate the flowers or use commercial ones?

Doreen G said...

Fabulous Nellie

jenclair said...

Lucky Jane!

p said...

love the color love it love it

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Oh Nellie, your block is beautiful. I thought it was real flowers on a gate at first glance.

Nellie's Needles said...

Maureen, those are silk flowers from a stalk of hydrangeas that I had purchased. The centers are two shades of raw silk thread ravels that I balled up. The leaves are cut out of fabric. I laid pieces of thread and yarn on the background to give the effect of stems and tendrils. After all, this plant is climbing all over that fence.