Nellie"s Needles

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Fine Feathered Bird

Feathers! Linda's bird got me to thinking about a bag full of pheasant feathers a friend had given me. I got them out and dressed up this bird.
Originally, he had a fuzzy yarn neck ruff. This added to his gruff quality. He was not a pretty bird.
I used an awl to enlarge the space between stitches in the seams to make room for the quills to be inserted. A drop of glue secures them. The fibers in the wing fabric were separated to insert that feather with its drop of glue. It tickles me how the pattern in the fabric echos the shape of the real feather.
Now, he's a mighty fine feathered bird proudly strutting his "stuff" off to South Carolina wrapped up as house gift with a few nesting materials included in the bow.
This is the weekend for seeing Susan Lenz's Cyber Fyber exhibition in Columbia, South Carolina. Woo Hoo!

7 comments:

Doreen G said...

lucky you Nellie going to Cyber Fyber---give Susan a big hug from me oh and Ebony as well

Vicki W said...

What a cool bird. I have a wreath made of pheasant feathers, maybe I could pull a few out and no one would notice!

Kay Koeper Sorensen said...

Love the addition of the feathers.
K

Kay said...

The neck ruff looks much better!

I'm looking forward to hearing about Cyber Fyber.

McIrish Annie said...

Really enjoyed all the bird pics! especially the fairy riding bareback!

and the watch pins! soo fabulous! I've had a box of parts for a few years which I inherited. My wheels and cogs are turning with ideas to use them. Thanks for sharing!

Helen said...

lovely to see a pic of you with Susan on the CF blog. I'm sure you've had a wonderful time there. It really must be amazing to be in amongst all that wonderful work.

Unknown said...

the addition of feathers works especially well! Fine idea!