Nellie"s Needles

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Tropical Garden Layout

Today I finally got some actual work done on the tropical garden piece for which I had composed and sewn the first layer of work in my Tennessee studio.
The leaves, flowers, and tiki are just laid in place. I consider this to be an initial layout. There will more plants in the foreground and upper corners as well as those you see getting more refined. I see at least two more layers of work before it's finished. Here's an example of the layers for one of the panels of "Prairie Performance"...



All the leaves and flowers are laid over the background (first photo) in the center picture. In the third one, most of them are placed under a layer of tulle netting to hold them in place while some of them are stitched on top of the tulle to give depth and dimension to the piece.

It feels good to actually have gotten some actual elements on that background after the hours spent doing the prep work of gathering foliage and flower petals as well as researching information about particular plants.

5 comments:

Heather said...

It always pays to get the ground work done well even though it takes so much time. The tropical piece is going to be another splendid quilt.

flavia said...

ciao Nellie! mi chiedo se i fiori che usi per le tue applicazioni di "collage" sono veri o finti???
comunque i tuoi quilt sono fantastici e bellissimi!!!!

Nellie's Needles said...

Interpretation of Flavia's comment:
I wonder myself if the flowers that it uses for your applications of “collage” true or are pretended?
however yours quilt they are fantastic and beautifulst!

My answer:
The flowers in this tropical garden are ones that grow in Hawaii. My "layout" is very loose and just suggests the blossoms that I've chosen to include. Believe it, or not, there will be Impatiens bordering the bottom edge.

p said...

quite stunning if you ask me! i dont know how you do all that you do...

McIrish Annie said...

Another masterpiece in the making. Will be interested to see your work in a tropical setting