Nellie"s Needles

Friday, April 26, 2013

Trillium Patch

My little trillium patch is complete ...


The stamen are embroidered. I used several shades of yellow floss in the 6-ply strand to stitch a variation of the bullion knot. I opted for irregularity in those stitches to reflect reality of perspective and nature. Also, the trillium leaves have been highlighted with oil stick pastels as well as shaded around the edges with a dark blue water color pencil.

Now to decide on the finishing. I'm excited by this idea ...
This afternoon I'll be playing with the placement of the trillium piece over the yardage of batik that has the effect of discharged leaves. I'll consider making my own discharged leaf fabric if I change my mind about the scale of this one. Right now my thought is those large "dead" leaves in the border complement the focus piece and add to the story. After all, old dried leaves are what I saw most on my recent woodland hike ...






5 comments:

Heather said...

It must be spring - the flowers are blooming! I love the discharge leaf fabric.

Unknown said...

fabulous!!! Really love how you were inspired to make this piece. The details you add are always right on . .

I miss walking in the woods and along the ocean. The Monterey Peninsula had a lot to offer including fog and mildew.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Beautiful . . . I love watching this evolve!

Unknown said...

This is just how it feels to see the trillium sprouting up around the leaves from fall. Love this piece Nellie. The background is a great idea too, would love to see it with a discharged fabric you made!

Karen H said...

I just love trilliums and your piece is so evocative of the forest floor in spring. I especially like your use of leaves in the piece. It adds dimension and depth! Really well done!