Nellie"s Needles

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Doll Who Has Everything

This doll is living my childhood dream. She has toys and books. She has drawers and a closet full of pretty clothes. She has more than one pair of shoes. She has a beautiful room all to herself.
She has a smocked top to go with her pinwhale corduroy pants.
She has a smocked bubble playsuit for summer days.
She has a pretty smocked dress for cool fall days.
She has a pleated silk taffeta skirt to wear with a fine cotton batiste blouse.
She has snuggly undergarments for everyday wear.
She has pretty embroidered undergarments for good.
She has a beautiful party dress ... and a hat that goes with it.
I made the bobbin lace trim with silk thread. There's also shadow-work embroidery and smocking that adorns this fine Swiss batiste cotton dress.
She likes what she sees in her silk trimmed mirror. This doll is named Terra after the little girl in that photo on the dresser.

Terra has a silk lined wool coat and smocked velvet bonnet to keep her warm.
At the end of the day she puts on her pajamas and slippers.
...and after storybook time says, "goodnight."

I fell in love with this 8" tall doll because she looks the way I imagined my then daughter-in-law-to-be, Terra, did as a child. Kemper, her future husband helped me to construct the box in which to build this dream room. I constructed the dresser, closet, bookshelves, and bed. It was a joy to paint and wall paper and outfit this fantasy room. Her wardrobe grew until no more would fit into the drawers and closet.

5 comments:

Heather said...

We wouldn't expect any doll of yours to be housed and clothed any less perfectly! What a lot of work has gone into her room and clothes, but what a lot of fun you must have had too. Thankyou for sharing it with us.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Oh my...I'm in complete and total awe! She's only 8" tall? All those teeny tiny clothes so beautifully embellished. Wow!!

Anonymous said...

well that is just fun! what a good time you are having after your long time with the piece at the hospital.

Julie said...

Nellie she is exquisite! What beautiful clothes and what a wonderful home Terra has. Thank you for showing her to us.

Anonymous said...

I want not agree on it. I over nice post. Expressly the title attracted me to study the unscathed story.