Nellie"s Needles

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Snowy Tennessee

We've had snow on the ground for over a week which is a rarity.  Wonderful ice sculptures have formed in the rain bells that recently replaced the drain pipe next to our front door.

Kids have been sledding out on the golf course as well as building snowmen.  Finally the snow has begun to melt and those snowmen are looking like this ....
I haven't yet made these too cute to eat cookies.  I found them at the Truly Custom Bakery site which has instructions.

I did, however, make this nest of mice to share with my quilting bee friends for my birthday.
You've most likely seen previous posts where I've featured these cuties a couple of times.  There are a couple of things I did differently this time.  Their ears are toasted pine nuts instead of slivered almonds.  The almonds make really cute oversize ears, but they're very fragile and prone to breaking.  The other addition I've made is to place each mouse on a really good chocolate square.  It made for more than one BIG bite ... it took at least 3 before there was only a tail left.

2 comments:

Beverly said...

Oooh, I love those rain bells- I've never seen anything like it, so much more artistic than my old drainpipe! Have you tried any closeup shots of the ice sculptures?

Those chocolate mice look like my kind of dessert. There's always room for really good dark chocolate!! (And even when you're watching what you eat!!)

Heather said...

The ice bells are so beautiful. I feel a bit like a melting snowman but the cookies and the choc. mice look delicious - definitely good enough to eat!!