Nellie"s Needles

Sunday, January 02, 2011

Unraveled

New Years Day was spent cutting loops, tying knots, and couching the edge to finish this piece.

Unraveled II - 13"x 23"

At least, I think that's the title.  "Unraveled" may be what I end up calling the series.  I know there will be at least one more.

This may look just as you remember it from previous posts, so here's a side-by-side of it mid-way done and then finished.
It's now a bit more tamed, but still retains a wildness to the mass of yarn.  I left some of the loops, but most are cut so the sections would hang in a less messy more contained way.  I wanted to expose more of the background fabric to help the eye make a visual connection ... that those loose yarns could be the same as those woven in the ground fabric.

I'm pleased with the result.  I love the shiny, bright, pure colored silk rectangles played against the coarse, dark, muted background that seems to be unraveling.

7 comments:

Julie said...

I agree Nellie, the silk works well against the coarser background. I think you have retained a good amount of 'wildness' and I like the way the yarns bulk up towards the bottom to add to the feeling of unravelling.

Heather said...

Gorgeous colours Nellie and I love the way the cascade of yarns/threads increases on it's way down the panel. Wonderful result.

Sue Spurlock said...

I just plain love this--want to look at it and touch it!

Judy Martin said...

What a good start to 2011.

Kay said...

This is a wonderful set of contrasts: shiny vs. coarse, order vs. chaos, horizontal vs. vertical.
Lovely piece. I agree that about wanting to touch it too.

FredaB said...

Happy New Year nellie

I really like this piece and think the second pic with the loops cut is my favorite. Just looks more finished and what you would expect.

No matter what you come up with in the New Year I am sure it will be amazing.

Hugs

FredaB

Fascia Berlin said...

Wonderful! - I'm a felter and I am fascinated by artist yarn thread and anything that emerges from the wool I work with. This creation of yours is wonderful! Glad I found your blog!