Nellie"s Needles

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Liking These Clouds
























Well, I'm finally done with the top row of cloud panels for "The Lake" installation piece ... for now.  They're much closer to the effect that I think I want.  Photos of the individual panels were taken this morning in front of a window with natural light.




I'm glad to finally have a tripod to attach my camera for taking steady and consistent photos.  I found this one at a Tuesday Morning shop for only $20.  It telescopes and folds up to be quite small.  A piece of cardboard marks the place for each panel to be positioned so there is consistency in the photographs.  I've found it's best to snap at least two pictures.  It seems I have a heavy finger for the first shot as evidenced by the first photo usually  turning out blurred.


I also took a picture of the panels laid out on the floor.





Rotating the photo gives the perspective of standing at one end to view it.
























And then I had taken a photo outside my studio after spraying the panels with Krylon fixative to set the oil stick pastels, as well as to build up layers of protection from dust and to prevent fading from UV rays.  This is what I want to see.  Is this a clue as to how they'll appear when mounted so far above eye level and spot lighted? ... hmmmmmmmmm ...
















The day couldn't pass without my checking up on the baby Robins in our courtyard tree.  It's amazing how fast they're growing.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Your skies above the lake have me thinking of early mornings at the beach, Love em. Beautiful work Nellie!

Kay said...

You're making wonderful progress! I agree with Karen about the look of the skies.

Kim Hambric said...

Nellie, this is just amazing so far. Can't wait to the final result. What a lot of work!

Joyce said...

The sky looks amazingly realistic!

Beverly said...

That sky looks amazing- I feel like I am looking up at it from my backyard.

As for the heavy hand on the camera, try using the delayed shutter release- even most point and shoots have that feature. Works great with a tripod.

June Calender said...

It's a beautiful sky. I'd love to see it "for real".

Rosalyn Manesse said...

What an amitious project! You have a great eye for color

Rian said...

What a wonderful set of panels. In the first photo I thought you had Photoshopped in copies, but then my jaw dropped {again} when I saw that you had actually MADE that many. WOW! Beautiful, Nellie.

Unknown said...

glorious sky! I feel like we're really getting a behind-the-scenes peek of your process. how marvelous to be able to take such great photos of the wee ones in the tree.

Heather said...

Your lovely skies and sea make me think of summer holidays - it's looking really good Nellie. Those dear little baby robins look as if there are too many of them for the size of their nest. We have great tits nearly ready to fly in a nestbox at the back of our house, and bluetits in one at the back.

Kathy said...

Nellie, this is looking great. I can't wait to see the finished product. I, too, have found that if I use the timer to take my photos, I don't have to take more than one. Thanks for sharing...Kathy

Colleen Kole said...

Amazing how far you are- 60 percent of the way there. Beautiful and breathtaking. I am very excited for you.

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

Absolutely a perfect sky!
This is going together so well and way faster than I imagined!