Nellie"s Needles

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Alicia's Gingko Leaves

My friend, Alicia, was intrigued with the small Gingko leaf pieces that I had made last fall. She's spent this last week in my studio creating collages with cut out fabric leaves and silk thread orts on various backgrounds.
12"x 9"
10 1/2"x 6 1/2"
The last three pieces are designed to fit in fan-shaped frames with 10"x 6" openings. The quilts will be adhered to foam core and mounted into the frames. Each frame will get painted to complement the composition.


Alicia has a very strong sense of color and design. Her sewing skills are good, but do not include free-motion quilting ... so I helped out with that part.

7 comments:

Doreen G said...

These are beautiful Nellie---and I love the box of silk thread orts.

Judy said...

the fans are great with the gingko leaves! Love the colors too.
xo

Teodo said...

Ciao Nellie,
Your friend's works are wonderful.
I would have liked to see you working together.
I need help too for free-motion and I usually ask Nadia.
ciao ciao

Darcie said...

...and Alicia also has a very capable and inspirational mentor!

Oooh...that box of silk orts is delightful! Exiciting to the hands as well as to the eyes.

McIrish Annie said...

Nellie, How I would love to come to your studio and dig into that box of Silk thread orts!! I guess I need to start my own collection. My husband thinks I'm crazy saving scraps, wait til he finds out I'm saving thread scraps!LOL

I am really enjoying your Lake Series! and love what your fried has done with the gingko leaves!

McIrish Annie said...

Nellie, just want to let you know that I checked out your thinking blog links and was thrilled to find Jan. She is blogging about exactly what I am going through right now with trying to find my artistic voice. I feel like I found a kindred spirit!

thanks for the continuing inspiration!

FARBTUPFER said...

Thank you for the new blog tips.